Okay, so every once and a while I get the urge to try something that is out of my comfort zone, that I know will make my husband very happy. This was a recipe I found when browsing around pinterest and thought it was something that my husband probably had when he was growing up, so I thought, why not give it a try? I modified it a bit compared to the recipe I found, but it still came out really good.
- 1 lb haddock filets
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup frozen, canned or fresh peas
- 1 packet sazon seasoning
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 tablespoons sliced pimento stuffed olives
- 1/2 cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup water, as needed
- Heat oil in a large high-sided skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 2 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
Add fish, tomatoes and their juices, cayenne pepper, cilantro, olives, sazon, peas, oregano and salt; stir to combine. Add up to 1/2 cup water if the mixture seems dry. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
Remove from the heat. Serve warm or at room temperature, garnished with avocado or shredded parmesan cheese.