When I was traveling for work, I would try to find different places to eat. One thing I fell in love with is Gyros. When I was in TN, I had a spinach ball Gyro- it was to die for. Ever since I’ve stopped traveling for work, I’ve had a craving for a good gyro. I bet you can guess where I went to find a recipe…yup you guessed it Pinterst. The first time I did the recipe I followed the directions…for the most part. I even found a recipe for the Gyro flat bread (and made them)…
This time I decided to make this recipe a bit more user and week day friendly.
First start with your marinade
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 lemon, juiced
2 tsp red wine vinegar
2 tbsp olive oil
2 tsp dried oregano
1) Combine all ingredients together.
2) Spray crock pot with cooking spray.
3) Put frozen chicken breasts into the crock pot and pour marinade over. Add a small amount of vegetable broth to bottom of crock pot (so the chicken won’t burn).
4) Place in fridge over night. In the A.M. put crock pot on low for 8-10 hours or until the chicken is cooked. Shred Chicken and place in a bowl.
Now its time to make the Tzatziki sauce
1 (6 oz.) container of plain greek yogurt
1 regular cucumbers, peeled & seeded
1 clove garlic, crushed
1/2 teaspoon red wine vinegar
1/4 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
1/8 teaspoon dried dill
salt and a little pepper
drizzle of extra virgin olive oil
1) Strain your yogurt. (I used a fine strainer over a bowl- and left it there for about 10 mins) and place into separate bowl.
2) Shred…or in my case puree…the cucumber and strain as well. Add to yogurt.
3) Add remaining ingredients to yogurt and cucumber mixture. Mix together and place in fridge (the longer it stays in the fridge the better it will taste).
As I mentioned above, the first time I made these, I attempted to make the flat bread. This time I got smart…or lazy (its a fine line lol) and bought the flat bread from Trader Joes…it was worth the $2.50 (in both time and frustration)!! But if you insist on making the flat bread here is the link to the ones I made before…(Flat bread Link)…
Finally assemble your Gyros. I put sautéed onions, lettuce, cucumbers, cheese, tzatziki sauce and I may have seen Dan put some BBQ sauce on them…that’s the bachelor in him…
These were yummy and a quick meal…for the most part! Give them a try. Have a good weekend everyone and talk to you all on Monday!