Happy new years day! I hope you are not too hung over. This is a good one last hurrah until the diet begins and we all try to shed those holiday pounds.
I used to work at a bakery back in college. I worked with a wonderful woman who we all called Mamma Maria. She was like a mother to all of us. During the holidays we would work 16-17 hour days and some of us would bring in food for everyone to share for dinner. Mamma Maria had a killer mac and cheese recipe. I made sure to grab it from her when I left. This is a wonderful recipe and I hope you share it with your family.
1 lb pasta (cavatopi/elbows)
4 tbs butter
3 tbs flour
1/2 tsp dry mustard
3 cups milk
1 1/2 lbs mixed cheese
1 bag of frozen broccoli (this was my addition to the original recipe)
1 container French fried onions
1) Cook pasta according to box directions and drain.
2) Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease 9X13 pan with cooking spray.
3) In sauce pan melt butter, stir in flour, salt, mustard and pepper and cook a few mins. Make sure to stir constantly.
4) Cook Broccoli.
5) Add Milk. Cook until smooth and slightly thickened. Stir in cheese in small amounts and melt completely.
6) Place drained pasta in greased dish with broccoli. Pour cheese mixture over pasta.
7) Bake 25 Mins at 350 degrees. Put onions on top and bake for another 5 mins.