Sausage really isn’t a ingredient I use on a normal basis because I personally don’t like it. However sausage is one Dan’s favorites. Dan has been working a lot of 12 hour shifts. With that being said, I thought it would be nice for Dan to have a nice meal to come home to after a long day. I went out with a few friends for dinner after work, and left a whole pan of this for Dan. I came home that night and asked how it was….and I quote…”you are not allowed to make that for me again”. Dan and Jessie (the dog) finished off the entire pan. I guess he like it THAT much. We agreed that I was only allowed to make this again if we had people over for dinner. So if that’s any testament to how this recipe is, I’d say you have your answer AND a recipe you’ll be adding to the rotation.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 (12.8-ounce) package smoked sausage, thinly sliced
- 2 cups vegie broth
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup milk
- 8 ounces elbows pasta
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 cup shredded Italian cheese
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add garlic, onion and sausage, and cook, stirring frequently, until sausage is lightly browned, about 3-4 minutes.
- Stir in broth, tomatoes, milk and pasta; season with salt and pepper, to taste. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat and simmer until pasta is cooked through, about 12-14 minutes.
- Remove from heat and top with cheese. Cover until cheese has melted, about 2 minutes.
- Serve immediately.