Over this past weekend, Jodi and I make a wedding cake…(don’t worry pictures coming soon promise…). We played with a few recipes and ended up making a almond blueberry pound cake with lemon frosting and lemon glaze. When we were making the cake I couldn’t stop eating the scrap cake, especially covered in the lemony goodness….This gave me an idea for a new scone recipe.
Almond Blueberry Scones with Lemon Glaze
1 3/4 cups flour
3 TBS sugar
2 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/3 cup firm butter
1 large egg beaten
1/4 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. almond extract
1/2 cup whipping (heavy) cream
3/4 cup blueberries
1 3/4 cups powdered sugar
1/4 cup lemon juice
zest from 1 lemon
1 tsp. butter
pinch of salt
1) In large bowl, mix flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Cut in butter, using two knives (or you could do what I do…use your hands…but make sure you wash them first)until dough resembles fine crumbs.
2) Stir in extracts, egg, and whipping (heavy) cream. Add blueberries and combine.
3) Place dough on floured surface and gently roll in flour to coat. Knead 10 times.
4) Roll dough into a circle and cut into wedges using a pizza cutter.
5) Place wedges on greased cookie sheet and bake 20 mins at 350 degrees.
1) Once scones are cooled, zest one lemon and put into a microwave safe bowl.
2) Add powdered sugar, lemon juice, butter and salt to bowl. Mix to combine.
3) Microwave for 45 seconds. Whisk together so there are no lumps.
4) Drizzle over scones…or eat with a soon…its THAT good.