I hope you all had a good July 4th weekend. Dan and I went away for the weekend to recharge our batteries. We had a great time! We ended up trying a few new recipes, including one that has been on my “to try” list for awhile. These homemade black bean veggie burgers were suggested by a co-worker of mine. I have to say, I’ve never had a veggie burger before, but if this is what veggie burgers are like then I’m hooked! Even Dan had to admit this recipe wasn’t too bad…although he still prefers meat…he said he would still have one of these burgers. I ended up putting lettuce and salsa on mine…and although the texture could bother some people…I say give them a try…they are filling AND healthy!
1 (16 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 green bell pepper, cut into 2 inch pieces
1/2 onion, cut into wedges
3 cloves garlic, peeled
1 tablespoon chili powder
1/2 tablespoon cumin
1 teaspoon Thai chili sauce or hot sauce
1 cup bread crumbs
1) If grilling, preheat an outdoor grill for high heat, and lightly oil a sheet of aluminum foil. If baking, preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C), and lightly oil a baking sheet.
2) Wash and drain black beans. In a medium bowl, mash black beans with a fork until thick and pasty.
3) In a food processor, finely chop bell pepper, onion, and garlic. Drain.
4) Then stir into mashed beans.
5) In a small bowl, stir together eggs, chili powder, cumin, and chili sauce.
6) Stir the egg mixture into the mashed beans.
7) Mix in bread crumbs until the mixture is sticky and holds together.
8) Divide mixture into four patties. If grilling, place patties on foil, and grill about 8 minutes on each side. If baking, place patties on baking sheet, and bake about 10 minutes on each side.