I can’t believe how fast this weekend went by and how my “to-do” list didn’t shrink as much as I would have liked. I had hoped to get more done so I could do something called “sit on my butt and do nothing without feeling guilty”…so much for that…maybe next weekend. On the plus side I did do a lot of prep work for dinners this week. I decided to cook all my vegetables and combine my meats with their marinades. So here is to hoping all of the new recipes I’m trying this week don’t end all in the pinterst fail category… I even decided to label the containers for Dan with funny sayings like “make me into burgers” in hopes I can come home to dinner sorta started…again a girl can dream.
I decided this weekend it was finally time to stock up on meat in my freezer since I had exhausted all my options come Friday night. On Friday night I decided I’d make a creamy tortellini dish…mainly because I badly needed to go grocery shopping AND it didn’t require the oven. Once I started to make it, Dan comes over to see what Im up to and asks if there was meat in this recipe. Since I thought I was out…I told him no. Well in no less than 2 seconds after I tell him this…he’s elbow deep looking in my freezer…and low and behold…from the depths of my freezer he finds sausage links (which I’m personally I’m not a fan but I digress)…so I bet you can never in a million years guess what was added to my tortellini dish…yup you guessed it…sausage…
…so here is my recipe for sausage spinach tortellini skillet
1 (20 oz) pkg three cheese tortellini
2 Tbsp olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 Tbsp all-purpose flour
1 tsp onion powder
1 1/4 cups milk
1/2 cup half and half
1 (14.5 oz) can petite fire roasted diced tomatoes (undrained)
1 1/2 cups (packed) chopped fresh spinach
1 Tbsp dry basil
1/2 tsp dry oregano (or 1/2 tsp dry)
6 Tbsp finely shredded parmesan, plus more for serving
6 sausage links cooked and sliced into medallions
1) Cook tortellini according to directions listed on package.
2) Cook Sausage, cut into medallions and set aside.
3) In a large and deep skillet or saucepan, add garlic and olive oil and saute 30 seconds.
4) Add flour and onion powder and cook, stirring constantly, 1 minute.
5) While whisking, slowly pour in milk and half and half, then whisk until smooth. Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture begins to simmer,
6) Add tomatoes, spinach, basil and oregano.
7) Cook several minutes longer until sauce has thickened and spinach has wilted.
8) Add parmesan cheese and sausage, stir until melted and combined.
9) Remove from heat. Toss prepared and drained tortellini into sauce mixture and serve.